HEP20 vs Speedfit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a plumber fit HEP20 in my last property and as very happy with it - never leaked and got no creaking pipes that I used to have with copper.

I'm going to fit my current place with plastic pipe. Speedfit barrier pipe and fittings seem much more common than HEP20. Is it going to be a similar spec and reliability to HEP20 for central heating? Is one generally preferred over the other?

Sponsored Links
Plumbers tend to use either Hep or Speedfit, not because one is better than the other, just because thats what they prefer. They tend to build up a stock of fittings in their vans of one brand or the other, and although it is ok to do so, they don't mix the 2 brand's pipes or fittings on the same installation. As a rule.

Bit like Betamax and VHS that used to coexist together quite happily.

Not sure about the quality of cheaper brands like Floplast though. Could be Ok, but I stick with Speedfit. Also think the white fittings and pipes look better than Hep's battleship grey. Mad or what?

I prefer Polyplumb grey stuff.

Dunno why...

Hep are changing theirs at the moment.

Speedfit for me....but so long as its the barrier type pipe it shouldn't matter. I do prefer the Hep steel inserts though.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot gentlemen. I'm going to go with Speedfit and very excited about running my own GCH system (plus the money I'll save) :)

don't 4get to put at least 1m of copper from the boiler,

i like speedfit due to the colour but textit is the best just the cost

always stick with copper tho, old school

don't 4get to put at least 1m of copper from the boiler,

i like speedfit due to the colour but textit is the best just the cost

always stick with copper tho, old school

Ah - thanks. I was planning to pay he gas guy to fit the boiler and connect up to the plastic leads I left below.

I've done plenty of core drilling in my time and could happily fit up and plumb a combi so he just has to connect the gas and commission. Would most Gassafe guys be happy with the customer doing this or would they want to physically fit the boiler themselves?

it don't matter i no most will charge you the same as it is there name on the cert

i no i would and if there are any leaks i would advice first it would be your responsibility (could fix at aditional price)

sound mean but its not worth there time to go out

(i no i would not let any 1 in my house i am a plumber and am training at the mo 2330 electrics, i ent got my electrical papers yet but i have re wired my house and still will be charged the standerd price)

most guys would want a days money to go out and do the connections, register it and take responsibility for it.

i'd let your rgi hang & flue it as well.

by the way, it's hep2o for me. haven't used much speedfit for years (when it was crap) but i'd imagine it is as good as hep now.

Although as a rule we only use copper, on the couple of jobs where we've used plastic it's been Hep2o. Hepworth have just changed over to new style fittings which are presumably supposed to be better, and are also in white rather than grey, of course the new pipe will also be white.

I must say that I find that the John Guest pipe is harder to manipulate than the Polyplumb or Hepworth pipe, but it's late and I've had a few pints so do as you wsish.....

I must say that I find that the John Guest pipe is harder to manipulate than the Polyplumb or Hepworth pipe, but it's late and I've had a few pints so do as you wsish.....

'Er Indors hair dryer lives in my van permanently, and its not just used for frozen condensates.

If you're feeding barrier pipe through, and its a bit of a tricky one, give the bit that needs bending a bit of a warm first. Becomes very flexible then. This is especially needed this time of year, as it gets really stiff. Err, the pipe I mean. :oops:

Keeps yer hands warm too! :cool:

weve had a couple of fittings blow apart in the past on hep, one leading to a fair claim on the insurance. one was the grip ring in the wrong way but had held for about 6 months. will never use it again, even when going onto existing we use compression now. just preferance i guess.

weve had a couple of fittings blow apart in the past on hep, one leading to a fair claim on the insurance. one was the grip ring in the wrong way but had held for about 6 months. will never use it again, even when going onto existing we use compression now. just preferance i guess.

must admit, after making the hep joint, i always unscrew it, visually check it and screw it back up again. it takes time, but i haven't had one fail yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back