Type of pipe for central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to install central heating into a house built in 1899. I'm happy to take up floorboards and understand the design of central heating, however I am unsure what type of pipe to use. I'm not a plumber!

I'm not sure if to use copper pipe or use plastic.

I'm thinking that copper pipe is unreliable, prone to getting leaks if you don't do the joints properly. The other reason why plastic is more attractive is the speed of fitting.

The other plastic options appear to be:-
Hep20
Speedfit
Polypipe
Uponor
Does anyone know if there is a cost benefit for using plastic piping? And is there any real difference between the types of plastic piping and joints?

And give any recommendations, would be much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
The fact that you have stated that copper pipe is unreliable would suggest that you should get a plumber/heating engineer in, copper is timeless and far superior to any DIY plasic pipe

I'm thinking that copper pipe is unreliable, prone to getting leaks if you don't do the joints properly

Plastic is no different. Have seen ceilings down and floods where someone has forgotten to put an insert in plastic, or the copper pipe that the push-fit was connected to had a slight imperfection.

The good thing about copper is that if it's good when first commissioned, then usually, it'll be good for decades to come. Can't say the same for plastic.

I've had several jobs where the customer wanted the confidence of having copper, wanted to DIY, but had no soldering skills. He fitted everything inc pipe runs and I followed on with the soldering. If you can handle cutting and bending, you could consider this.

Plastic is fine, and there's no denying that it's quicker to fit. However there will always be some doubt in every installation. Copper always looks better too.

All methods are prone to leaks if you don't do the joints properly :!: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
...and understand the design of central heating, however I am unsure what type of pipe to use....
No offense mate, but if you don't know what pipe to use, you clearly do not understand central heating design.
By all means, find yourself an installer who is happy to let you do the labour, but leave the design and speccing up to him.

I'm thinking that copper pipe is unreliable, prone to getting leaks if you don't do the joints properly.
Any system is unreliable if installed incorrectly.

The other plastic options appear to be:-
Hep20
Speedfit
Polypipe
Uponor
Of those, Hep20 and Speedfit are push fit systems from different manufacturers. There are others.
Polypipe is a manufacturer that makes various systems including push fit and other types.
Uponor probably has better joints, but you can only make those using the Uponor press tool, which is a very expensive item to buy for a single installation. You can probably hire the tool.

Does anyone know if there is a cost benefit for using plastic piping? And is there any real difference between the types of plastic piping and joints?
Plastic is cheaper than copper, both in the materials cost and the time taken to install it.

If you are that bothered about joints leaking, design the system so that there are no joints under the floor at all. That could be done in plastic or copper.

For ease of fit you'll find it best to use a combination of the two.
Copper near the radiators and plastic to pull under the floors and connect up.

Thanks for all your comments.
I've fitted a radiator before with copper and I didn't solder the joint properly and made a mess.
I think I'll go with plastic because of the speed and easier to get into the floorboards. I'm presuming it is easier to drill into joints than cut notches. My plumber mate also pointed out the fact that the plastic is a better insulator.
One plumber says speedfit is best, another says hep barrier is best? or is a polypipe product better? One forum was really slating the hep system.

Thanks for all your comments.
I've fitted a radiator before with copper and I didn't solder the joint properly and made a mess.
I think I'll go with plastic because of the speed and easier to get into the floorboards. I'm presuming it is easier to drill into joints than cut notches. My plumber mate also pointed out the fact that the plastic is a better insulator.
One plumber says speedfit is best, another says hep barrier is best? or is a polypipe product better? One forum was really slating the hep system.

The new hep system where you need a tool to remove the joint is just
plain annoying.
I quit like speedfit very easy. Went to fix some where the guy hadn't used
inserts and hadn't tighten them. He needed a new ceiling. ;) Won't
have done with copper.

Soldered joints using Yorkshire or generic brand solder ring fittings are just about fool proof. Even I am fairly proficient at them. :eek:

Be aware when notching / drilling joists that there are strict rules laid down in the Building Regulations about where you can and can't drill and notch. Make sure you fully understand these before you do anything, or you could be risking the structural integrity of your house

I'm a bit "old fashioned", and I'd need a very good reason to choose anything but copper. On the other hand, at the risk of sounding like I'm bragging, I have no problem with endfeed copper fittings. As the others have said, if it is installed right, then it'll stay working and watertight "forever" if it isn't punctured (eg by a nail) or split (eg by freezing).

A also prefer drilled joists to notched - apart from the mechanical issues, it puts the pipes further away from nails, screws, and saws. In my house I have gas pipes literally touching the underside of the floorboards thanks to the lazy developers :evil:

However, for a retrofit, you can't easily put copper through drilled holes - unless you drill a hole in an outside wall and feed all the pipes in through that ! So notched joists or the more flexible plastic will be required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back