central heating pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, Iv'e got a problem with my downstairs rads and have an idea which I'd like your comments on.
My house was built in the sixties and all downstairs pipe work is in a concrete screed, it leaves and returns to the boiler in 3/4 pipework and enters the rads out of the floor screed in 1/2 inch pipework.
I suffer with the rads furthest from the boiler and the hall rad which is nearest conflicting with heat distribution, Iv'e balanced the rads several times but not really a satis result.Iv'e pursuaded my wife that the only option is to repipe the downstairs with 22mm pipework (on the surface!!!) and change to 15 mm pipes just at the rads, this will mean lots of pipe hiding and other small engineering probs but my gas bills are high due to me not getting the hall up to temp quick enough, so what do you think?
I had a new gas boiler installed 5 years ago, and the pump has a boiler bypass circuit with presure release valve installed( just thought id add that bit of info!!!) :D

Sponsored Links
Might just be sludged up. Add some cleaner (then drain) and fit a magnaclean

thanks gigz, I had considered fitting a magnaclean the gas board did a powerflush 6 years ago when fitting the new boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back