central heating pressure drop help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , i have had a pressure leak on my central heating system , it became more noticeable recently with the cold weather , i tracked it down this evening to a valve in my boiler , a grant vortex pro external .
See video of leak

photo :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g9bxrw7hlk23lh4/InkedPhoto 05-03-2018, 8 36 12 pm_LI.jpg?dl=0

It was leaking under the large nut ,,. see photo ( green arrow ) i managed to tighten it a bit and the leak seemed to stop , it looked like it had been leaking around the tap nut (red arrow ) so i tried to tighten it a bit . Bad idea it started spraying water out around the seal .
I got some towels out straight away and bled the pressure from the system .
i took the tap nut off and it was badly corroded around the sealing face , i was surprised not to see a copper sealing ring or something .
should i replace the valve or try to wire brush the sealing faces off and use some ptfe tape on the threads ?
any advice would be appreciated .

Sponsored Links
I have bought 2 , should I use the existing olive and nut on the 22mm side or try and get it off.
Also should I be concerned about the water that leaked over the boiler ,?

if the thread is the same just use the existing olive and nuts, not all valves have the same thread though, you will know straight away if they are different

Sponsored Links
More than likely it’s just the seal that perished.Isolate each valve but firstly take note which way the arrow is pointing on pump. Remove pump, change both seals while pump is removed because why not. Reinstall pump making sure the arrow is pointing the correct way. Open valves slowly check for leaks. I’d satisfied open center but with a slotted screwdriver to remove air. Fire up boiler.

ok , i replaced both valves and refilled the system , i did notice an air leak as the system was refilling and water started to leak a lot around the large nut , (not the same side as the initial leak )
I had to put a lot of force to tighten it on the large nut but it did seal , it did come with fibre washers which i also put silicone grease on .
this morning i still have pressure . :) .
I am going to drain it over the weekend to add fernox MB-1 do you think its worth getting some rubber washers to replace the fiber ones ?

It was fibre seals which failed . The whole system is less than 3 years old and cost me around £11,000 , I was assured high quality parts were use throughout .

Last edited:
Fibre seals are rubbish. Rubber seals that usually come with the pump are the best option. No need for silicone grease.Best option would be to use a jointing compound paste with your fibre seals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back