Central Heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a problem with my central heating. The boiler is on, the room and radiator thermostats are calling for heat but nothing is coming through. I thought it might be the pump but the pipe is hot either side of it.
Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be?

Sponsored Links
If the pump is too hot to touch, and the pipes either side of it are less hot, then it is jammed.

Can you feel the pipes as they progress, and see how far the heat goes?

Also, please provide the information as in //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6026

Sponsored Links
THe system has not been altered in any way within the last 12 months and there haven't been any problems in that time.
The system has been on over 3 hours. It was about half an hour after it came on that I noticed that the heating wasn't working properly. The pipes either side of the pump are both too hot to hold(they seem to be the same temperature). I can only see the pipe from the pump for about a metre and there doesn't seem to be a drop in temperature. The pump seems to be making a rattling sound.

JohnD said:
JohnD said:
... please provide the information as in //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6026[/b]

(this is the post called "before you ask a question please read this"

Sorry John D

All I can add to the details above your last post is that the boiler's a Glow Worm Ultimate gas boiler which seems to be working normally(the hot water's fine), the system was working normally this morning when it turned off by the timer, but failed this afternoon when heat failed to get to the radiators, despite getting past the pump.
Thanks to those who have taken the trouble to reply.

sounds like you could have a 3 port valve in your system thats failed or maybe a 2 port. I guess you don't know what system you have, so you need to establish what if anything comes after the pump.
Does your system cater for central heating only.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Look around for this sort of thing. May have 3 pipes.
Try moving ther lever indicated, to the latch position (manual).
2-port-lever-indicated.jpg

Thank you to everybody who has taken the trouble to reply. The problem has now been fixed. I wasn't in when the engineer did the repair(it was my wife who was homeand she didn't understand what the engineer said was wrong!), but, his report says that he replaced the motor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back