Central heating problems

Sponsored Links
The water level in the F&E tank is much too high. It doesn't need to be more than 2 to 3 inches above the exit at the bottom when the water is cold. This then allows adequate room for the water level to rise when the system is hot, before reaching the overflow. The ball valve arm needs to be bent down so the valve opens when water level is about 1" above the bottom exit pipe and closes about 2" higher. Bail some water out of the tank until the float valve opens. If it opens too soon (water level more than 2" above bottom feed) bend the arm down and try again.

I don't know what air separator you have, but it is definitely not an Aerjec.

Excellent, thank you.

I’m happy to get a pro out to replace it if need be, however is there a quick/temp fix I can do myself?
I assume this re work would reqiure soldering?
Don’t want to spend too much as
I’m planning a small extension with a new repositioned CH system for May 2019 (my boiler is 20 ish yr old).

You will need to redo that pipe set up and replace the separator. Yes, will need soldering, as I have found the metal that the seperators are made of don't seem to like compression joints. Must be soft or something. Other pipes are ok with compression though.

Main problem is dirt. System needs good clean and magnetic filter eg. Magnaclean Pro 2 fitting on the return to boiler. Also good dose of corrosion inhibitor, not just dumped in the F&E tank, but added properly into the system water. Or the problem will build up again. Your older boiler may be OK with some dirt in system, but in the future when you come to fit one of the modern boilers it will block it up.

Sponsored Links
OK Mr Pedant, Aerjec type. ;) Bit like vacuums can be called 'Hoovers', but not always made by that company.
Being accurate is not the same as being pedantic. If I go into a plumbers' merchant and ask for an air separator I could be given one of several different devices, including an Aerjec; but if I ask for an Aerjec I expect to be given a specific device.

So it's OK if I tell everyone I own a Ferrari? I own a car, Ferrari is a type of car, therefore I own a Ferrari, even if it's not made by that company!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back