Central Heating programmer not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently paid an electrician to do some fairly basic work in my lounge, move some sockets change the lights etc. He offered to change the central heating thermostat, as the existing one was a) old fashioned, and b) hanging off the wall.

I remember that someone a while ago said changing it would be tricky as you would have to get a similar one but my electrician assured me it would be fine.

After Nick (the electrician) left, the hot water clicked on as normal, and was running fine until I decided to check the new thermostat by turning the heating on. Instantly the RCD shorted on the main fuse box. I switched the RCD on but the central heating programmer did not return. I have changed its own fuse but it seems to just not be having any of it.

Naturally Nick has now disappeared of the face of the planet when I need some advice after I had to check his work!

Does anybody have an idea of what I should do next? Could it be the water pump (common suggestion)? or could the programmer have just died? Incompatible thermostat?

Any advice would greatfully be received.

Thanks in advance

Chris Maile

Sponsored Links
Firstly, you should try and get Nick back. His number should be on your minor works or electrical installation cert. If he doesnt respond contact his scheme operator, e.g. NICEIC or ECA or NAPIT etc and make a formal complaint.

It could be he's wired the thermostat incorrectly, and he should have tested it anyway. Do you have power to the programmer ? Do you have power at the stat ?

Thanks. There is no power to the programmer at all, not sure if there is power to the thermostat, it is just a dial.

If no pwer to programmer you need to trace where its supply comes from - either the boiler or a junction box usually or it could be on its own spur.

Sponsored Links
it has a switch on the wall next to it, would that be the spur? I have changed the fuse in that already, and it appears to spark when I turn it on with a fresh fuse. Would that mean its just blowing each fuse i put in there?

I'd remove the new thermostat, tape the cable ends and re-energise the circuit.

If all the guy did was replace the stat and wire incorrectly doing the above will allow the system to run CH and HW.

The boiler have a safety thermostat to prevent o/heating so running the system without the room thermostat isn't dangerous- just expensive on running cost.

I'd remove the new thermostat, tape the cable ends and re-energise the circuit.

If all the guy did was replace the stat and wire incorrectly doing the above will allow the system to run CH and HW.
It will allow the hot water to work, but not the heating, as the circuit will be "open" as if the thermostat was in the "satisfied" position. The live and switch wire would need to be joined together to achieve what you suggest.

Maileman28, don't try this unless you are sure which wires are the live and switched live.

Sounds to me like Nick has got the neutral mixed up with the switched live so when the stat is turned up it makes a short circuit.

Thanks for your help everyone. I am a bit simple when it comes to electrics, so will probably not try anything that could make my hair stand on end! The bottom line seems to be that I should get hold of the now infamous Nick to sort the problem.

Thanks

Chris

Hi all,

the hot water clicked on as normal, and was running fine until I decided to check the new thermostat by turning the heating on. Instantly the RCD shorted on the main fuse box. I switched the RCD on but the central heating programmer did not return. I have changed its own fuse but it seems to just not be having any of it.

I suspect he has wired the stat wrong and when you are turning it on you are placing a dead short between live and neutral
turn it back off and replace fuse, at least you will have hot water
be aware that the contacts in the stat may have welded shut especially if you have been replacing fuse in spur with 13amp ones (should be 5amp at most) in which case fuses will carry on blowing and you will need another new stat
then track down nick and get him to sort it

I recommend you start asking round friends and neighbours for someone more competent.

Hi All,

Just thought I should update everyone. I managed to get hold of the electrician. Turns out he was on a v long holiday. Turns out the only fault that was his was that he did not check it before he left.

The main problem was the sheister who used to own my house. He had wired up the central heating ignoring what colour you are meant to use, so Nick wired it up a*se about face because he assumed green was green ETC.

Worrying really that the guy who owns the house before is an electrician with his own company! And this is about the 5th electrical issue we have had (with his 'handy work' in 18 months).

Anyway thanks all for your help all.

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back