central heating programmer replacment help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all. my old central heating programmer has gone bust! The back light still works but digits dont display and it wont light up or function so now have no heating!!
The programmer in question is the potterton ep2001 and im looking to get a relacment that will fit the existing back plate which has all the electrics still in place.
ive heard that the honeywell st9400 is a direct replacment but would like some reassurance before purchasing it.
also there are a few diffenet versions of honeywell so which is it i need. looking for the cheapest option really.
thanks
scott

Sponsored Links
The Honeywell isn't a direct replacement for the EP2001. The plates are completely different and the EP normally has the whole system's wiring connections on the plate. Most programmers usually only have 4 or 5 terminal connections.

You either want another EP2001, or other EPs (EP2002, EP3002, EP6002) which give different programming options. Alternatively, the newer Potty EP2 is a direct replacement.

Using other types of programmers will need a fair amount of rewiring and terminating the wires that used to be in the EP's backplate into a new wiring centre.

replacing the controller isn't that big of a job usually, it should only be 7 or 8 wires, and although the backplates are different, connecting the wiring to the new backplate isn't a difficult job.

Did mine last week, and took me about 45 minutes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back