Central heating pump not running - how to test?

You could, and it would probably show the pump is working ok. The OP has already identified that there is a problem with the missing 230V supply to the pump that needs fixing.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of trying that tonight but managed to get an early booking from Vaillant.

If they can't fix it today I might use it to get some hot water into the tank tonight so we can at least have a proper wash.

thanks

If you do, isolate the existing wires you take out of the pump carefully. I know they aren't 'live' as it stands at the moment, but better safe than sorry. And make sure there is a 3A fuse in the plug, or whatever you use to connect the pump to the mains.

Yep, great advice, thanks
Had Vaillant round today. He switched on the boiler (I had it switched off at the isolator over night) and no lights or display on the lcd, he swapped in a new board and nothing, checked the mains test point on the boiler and he said no power was coming into the boiler, I need to get an electrician in as they don't do wiring outside the boiler... Managed to convince him to stay as I explained that the separate programmer is working which takes its power from the boiler and he got the 3 way valve to move by changing the room thermostat!

Long storey short, power is going to the boiler but poss. loose connection from incoming power / electrical cartridge (wiring junction box) to the board which may have shorted the boards. He's ordered both boards and a new electrical cartridge.

Glad I left well alone last night...
Oh well definitely no hot water now (british gas fitted the tank with no emersion...)

Sponsored Links
Looks like the only thing left original from when we moved in a couple of years ago will be the programmer and pump, I'm thinking its wise to replace the pump before that fails too. Keeping the budget low as I might get a new boiler moved upstairs, will this pump be a good replacement for the Grundfos multihead G I have?
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wilo-Yonos-PICO-25-1-6-Glandless-Central-Heating-Pump/p/106630
upload_2019-2-8_20-40-5.png

Finally sorted out after 2 more visits by the engineers as they still couldn't get power to the boiler.

seems it was a small connector block in the boiler that had a loose connection. Block and boards replaced and all ok.

thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back