Central Heating pump overheating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When my hot water/central heating system is on, the pump becomes really hot - as hot as the pipes around it. Is this normal? The system seems to function properly and I have bled the pump but it becomes too hot to touch again within about 5-10 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Yup, it's got the same temperature water running through it as the pipes either side, it's made of metal which is a heat conductor...it's going to be hot.

I had this recently when I drained my heating, the pump was making a funny noise as well. It was very hot even after I bled it from the center screw.

It turned out the vent point above the pump was blocked (I wondered why no air/water came out!), once unblocked and bled it cooled down and sounded normal.
:)

Two contrasting views! muggles, that is what I thought, the temperature of the pump is always the same as the pipes. But JayJay1978 seems to think it should be cooler. I don't have any noise issues with it and have bled both the pump centre screw and the vent above the pump.

Also, can anyone tell me what the pipe that bypasses the pump that has a stop tap on it is for? When should that tap be open and when should it be closed?

Sponsored Links
I take it that the bypass valve prevents the pump from trying to pump into a blocked system? In which case it should be always open?

the bypass (if thats what it is) is there to maintain a flow of water through the boiler when the system controls close down to prevent overheating :idea: :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back