Central heating pump permanently on !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago (built 1965).

It has a Potterton Suprima 50L, installed in the attic in 2004 by BG.

I immediately noticed a continuous noise coming from the attic at night.

The heating seemed to work OK - but then one morning it didn't start.

Called a local reputable plumber out - we confirmed the pump was receiving a continous signal to run from the boiler. The boiler was reset and has been OK for a couple of days.

He then told me of the infamous PCB problem & advised I call Potterton. Fortunately my serial number is covered by the replacement program and an engineer is coming tomorrow to check the boiler & replace PCB if necessary.

I've read about the boiler cutouts being a symptom of the fault PCB - but is the continuous call to the pump likely to be part of the same problem ?

thanks

swayzak

Sponsored Links
a pcb would be the last on the list..... and in two months how many times has the heating and hot water run...so alot can happen in that time.

When a service is carried out, it is done to check all is safe...the people are not mind readers and cannot tell if a problem is going to occur tomorrow never mind 2 months down the road.

I would be looking at the zone valves. one will be stuck on.

Sponsored Links
a pcb would be the last on the list.....

I'm dearly praying you are wrong !

It has cut out once in the last week - and I have seen the continuous pump running problem quoted a few times in relation to the infamous Potterton PCB problem (but not as much as cut-out).

Aggg so now you tell us you have a red light on the PCB.

:confused: Where has he said this :?: :confused:

As the pcb controls the pump on this boiler then it is suspect.

When the pump is continuosly running, is the boiler still firing up and the HW or CH getting heated?

The pump should run on for about 6 minutes after all demand for heat has finished.

When the pump is continuosly running, is the boiler still firing up and the HW or CH getting heated?

The pump should run on for about 6 minutes after all demand for heat has finished.

Having to reset the boiler to get this to stop, perhaps overheating, thermistor problem or jammed valve.

thanks

Yes - I've had one instance of flashing red light. Had to reset.

The only way to get the pump to turn off is to turn the boiler off.

If the boiler overheats, the pump will run continuously, until cooled down and then reset.

Check thermistor is not dry (heat sink) and if two port valve system (s plan) check bypass is correct.

If all above ok change PCB

No boiler activity - just on, endlessly whirring away day & night.

Most of the time the boiler works OK - so far it has been just the one failure (which prompted me to get the plumber in).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back