Running boiler at full whack ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I have a 2004 Potterton Suprima 50L (with replaced PCB).

If you run a boiler at or near full (on the front dial), is it detrimental to the boiler e.g. wearing parts out, lifespan etc. ?

Presumably it costs significantly more in gas usage (all other things being equal) ?

I ask because I've just turned mine down a bit (to about 3/4) due to the reasons above.

But I have noticed a decrease in radiator temperature as a result (unsurprisingly presumably..) and am thinking of turning it up again. Although it was never running flatout before, more like 5/6.

thanks

swayzak

Sponsored Links
IT wont cause anymore wear and it wont necassary cost you more to run it . if you run it too low the rooms will take hours to get up to temp and the room stat may never cut off . If you have it full rads get hotter room gets up to temp quicker and room stat reaches temp and shuts off gas

IT wont cause anymore wear and it wont necassary cost you more to run it . if you run it too low the rooms will take hours to get up to temp and the room stat may never cut off . If you have it full rads get hotter room gets up to temp quicker and room stat reaches temp and shuts off gas

Thanks

After turning it up just fraction, the radiators are much warmer.

My plumbing firm did say that the 50L is borderline for house. Maybe thats why it has to be near max ...

Sponsored Links
heating systems are designed for an outside temperature of -1°C and at the situation potentially you will need your boiler on full.

However, as soon as possible turn it back.

It will run more efficiently and places less stress on the components of the boiler, particularly the fan.

Here in NW London its -0.9° outside and about 22.0 inside! But then I would not want to be unable to reach a comfortable temperature when its -4 or -5 but to achieve that we have to close the door to the kitchen as the rad there is a little small at extreme outside temperatures when there is no cooking.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back