central heating pump problem ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Central heating just stopped on me, gave the pump a gentle tap and it kicked in but only for a short while. Its a grundfoss ups 15 50 which i replace for new as its been in since 1986. Opened up the valves, unscrewed the big central nut to let out any air and it seemed to be making all the right noises then after a short while absolutely nothing and once again no heat to the rads

I have power to the boiler, power to the seperate wall timer/programmer for which water and heating are set to constant, I have power to the wall stat but seems to be no power to the live of the pump ? I need help with this one as the house is like an refrigerator .

Any help will be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
this is a brand new pump ive just fitted though im wondering if there isnt something else adrift here too, but never the less i will pop a plug on and i assume the pump will only run if the wall stat calls for heat ?

Try tapping the 2/3 way valves or manually operating them? Pump now working?

lever on mot valve slid over to manual, wall stat turned up and nothing, no sound from boiler and no life in the pump. When i first opened the vaves , top and bottom to the new pump it all sounded fine and heat started to come into the rad pipes but then the whole thing just gave up . to be honest im sick of the whole thing

So when you call for heating do the motorised valves move? Does the boiler fire? Does the pump run?

Are you using a multimeter to test for power to the pump?

when i turn up the stat on the wall to call for heat nothing happens. There appears to be no power to the live going into the pump so im wondering if it may be the wall stat as i understand it will still "click" when you turn the dial even if it is faulty ?

Everything was working fine then no heating so i gave the pump, the old one, a gentle tap which kicked it into life for a short period and it was getting very hot so ive replaced the old pump with a brand new one of the same spec and make . On opening the iso valves either side of the new pump all seemed to come to life and the pipes to the rads started to get wram but then it all stopped

So you are calling for heating with your controls and when you turn up the wall stat no motorised valves move?

Well you have spent £85 on a new pump and itys still not working!

Dont you think its time now to call an engineer to diagnose the problem?

Tony

Thanks for the useful reply agile !! not really helpful at all was it and prob from someone who cant help anyway through lack of knowledge and understanding but to answer the prior question from someone much more useful - no when i call for heat from the wall stat by turning it up absolutely nothing happens , the boiler dosnt fire up, the pump dosnt start and the mot valve appears also to do nothing

Have you checked the incoming supply to the wiring centre? The controller and wall stat should bring in the mot valve which will bring in the boiler and pump.

Unless you have a multimeter it might be worth getting a heating eng in?

Do you have a wiring diagram on the back plate of your wiring centre?

Hi all,

I need help with this one as the house is like an refrigerator .

Any help will be much appreciated

So far you dont seem to have followed the suggestion of powering the pump externally although from what you are saying there is probably a different fault and the new opump was not necessary.

Rather that continuing to waste money and staying cold an engineer this afternoon would probably have given you heating.

Even with my "lack of knowledge and understanding" I expect that I would have made you warm today for less than the cost of your pump if you were local to me!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back