central heating pump problem ?

the pump was neraly 30 years old and was at fault and needed replacing but as with quite alot of systems there is quite often an additional fault compounding the problem. By trade i am a builder and lets hope if you have a problem with building or structure you dont get a reply like i did.

I am not an idiot and i am a competent person with knowledge of heating sytsems and i am on this forum in the hope someone else has had a similar problem to me and in that way will be able to help.

I thank all those who have tried and i will now attempt the direct power up to the pump and possibly take out the wall stat by linking the feed wires. I think that theres a possibility its also the mot valve playing up and not opening and its a tad late in the day to call someone out , not without taking out another mortgage to pay for it , so I will contact the guy i use for my heating installations in the light of day.

Again thanks to all who tried to help

Sponsored Links
the pump was neraly 30 years old and was at fault and needed replacing but as with quite alot of systems there is quite often an additional fault compounding the problem

Now that is a wild statement :eek:

I have power to the boiler, power to the seperate wall timer/programmer for which water and heating are set to constant, I have power to the wall stat but seems to be no power to the live of the pump

or is it. Have you checked or are you assuming?

no when i call for heat from the wall stat by turning it up absolutely nothing happens , the boiler dosnt fire up, the pump dosnt start and the mot valve appears also to do nothing

You wrote
I am not an idiot and i am a competent person with knowledge of heating sytsems

To change a pump just because it does not run is not a sign of being competent. To also replace bacuse the pump is old mean zilch. Have system much older than that powered by pumps made in days when Adam was a small boy :)

Tapping system components is a DIYer trick, a pro would not resort to that.

Opening valve on the pump after a new one was fitted heated the pipes not bacuse the pump was working but probably because there was temperory circulation due to water flow that displace air in the new component. I suspect you will have a boiler with a pilot light

Agile is a smart man, ignore him at your peril. So far you have not done anything that indicates you are a thinking man and saying you are a top builder is something I would keep under my hat if I were you ;) . I think you have replaced the pump in hope of fixing the defect which lies elsewhere. Might help if you indicated what your boiler is. Is the boiler hot or cold when you power up/ or does the burner fire up when timer activated with boiler stone cold. If all is dead, then why is there no power to the system. Have you checked if the system is fitted with a 13 AMP FUSE which might be the reason why the system is dead. A 13 amp fuse has enough power to boiler water in a kettle, boiler only needs small power to run the pump or electronics/ electrics which 13 amp fuse will destroy in the event of a fault.

Start by looking at your system and try to reason why or how it functions. You have a three port valve someone was suggesting you hit with a hammer. I would start by looking at the wiring center instead and check for mains at terminal 1 and 2. With demand on ch I would look for 240 volts on terminal 4 and 5 and expect the MV to operate and then power the orange wire. By the way at this stage NO components have been changed and AGILE would have done that too (if you were near him :) ). The terminals would have been as suggested if the person fitting the system was indeed competent.

If the wiring center is a bird's nest, then there should be 240 volts on two wires that would normally go to terminal 1 and 2 and timer is fed from here to run the clock. CH wire is on terminal 4 that then goes to thermostat and come back to terminal 5 to feed the three port valve on white wire.

I think above will put you on the right track to get you started.

Thankyou DP for the info but in the interim I have done all you suggest. Methodically checking each connection and power supply - As suspected the wiring, although a damned mess, is all ok . The pump, on inspection from the guy I use to do all my gas and heating, agreed it required changing and in fact on testing it was found the motorised valve was at fault too.

This has been changed and all is now working fine.

As said before I am not an idiot although some of you seem to think so. I was asking for help in the form of past experience and/or knowledge not insults ! Maybe ill come across some of the funny individuals in this section with a problem in the building section but rest assured I will not come up with sarcastic remarks which are totally useless and serve no purpose but impart the experience I have gained over many years to help the individual

Once again thanks to all who tried to help and thanks to all who didnt

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the useful reply agile !! not really helpful at all was it and prob from someone who cant help anyway through lack of knowledge and understanding but to answer the prior question from someone much more useful - no when i call for heat from the wall stat by turning it up absolutely nothing happens , the boiler dosnt fire up, the pump dosnt start and the mot valve appears also to do nothing

if this baffles you then you are about as competent as a brick.

Clearly some plumbers working too hard before x-mas on here.
Cheer up people!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back