Central Heating pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a central heating system with a back boiler. Its fine but today I went out and left the heating on by accident. When I got back tonight the rads downstairs where cold and upstairs they are luke warm. Went into the loft and the pump is not running. Its a Gold 50. The boiler is operating fine.

Anyways I think the pump might have gone but before I try and change it is there anything else it could be? I also read on the instructions that the capacitor might need changing, could it be the capacitor?

Thanks for your help,

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Good idea, only problem is I dont have a tester!! Might have to try putting my fingers on the terminals :eek:

Only kidding, honest......

Could do with fixing this tonight, any ideas how I can test the power?

Sponsored Links
Hey thanks for the quick replies!! Brilliant.

The case is hot and its def not buzzing, its dead.

ok, I left it off for a while and then turned it back on and it appears to be working now the rads downstairs are hot, although I havent been up to look at the pump. Its v strange, maybe something to do with the thermostat? But the boiler was firing up, dont understand how leaving it off a while can fix it.

Shouldnt the pump be on all the time as soon as the heating is turned to on?

Its a baxi backboiler with a hot water tank in the attic and two open tanks sitting above that.

Thanks
Paul.

sorry mate, havent a clue, the boiler does the water and heating thats all I know. An the pump has one inlet and one outlet!

erm there's a silver box with cable/s (cant remember if one or two) on a pipe coming from the hot water tank, maybe thats got something to do with it. There's also like a junction box with a few wires coming in/out of it. One to the pump and maybe one to the xilver box if I remember right, does that sound correct??

Do you think the silver box sensed the water was too hot after all the 7 hours it was on and turned the pump of??

the silver box is on the pipework and is a moterised valve
if it sticks or just wants to be bl**dy minded it can stop the pump from running ;)

Right......

So what is the purpose of the mortorised valve? Is it a safety thing or thermostat thiing??

right so maybe the water in the tank go so bloody hot that the vavle closed which also shut the pump of so as not too heat the water anymore.

seems ok now.

Thanks for your time and answers mate, really appreciate it, its great you help other people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back