central heating pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am considering using a central heating pump to pump water to the top of a waterwheel for a garden feature. My question is, the pump is connected to the bottom of a 20 litre tank which is sunk into the ground below the waterwheel, so there is only about 200mm of head, would the pump be able to pump water up say 5 feet to the top of the wheel? thanks any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
A central heating pump is not a pump but is a circulator.

It will not pump up five feet.

There are plenty of garden/pond pumps on the market
that will do the job that you require. (I suspect that you
have a spare CH circulator knocking about that you would
like to use to save cash) ;)

It will pump up two metres and will probably last a long time!

To confound the armchair experts ( and risk a problem ) I fittted a USED Grunfoss pump to circulate mains water through a CH boiler to heat it up.

That was at least 20 years ago and its still working! Its used in a launderette so lots of water is pumped!

Tony

Sponsored Links
It will pump up two metres and will probably last a long time!

As said a central heating 'pump' is a circulator , it will not LIFT water higher than suction side without the risk of cavitation , the volute will not last long either due to the oxygenated environment.

With a static head of only 200mm it's pretty clear NPSHR will exceed NPSHA (cavitation).

If it ever runs dry, it will destroy the shaft bearing pretty quickly as it is water lubricated. Correct orientation of the pump will need to be observed too for the same reason.

The electrical installation will require approval and inspection by your building control department if you are going to 'DIY' the wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back