Central Heating Pump

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

I have oil central heating with an open fire back boiler.

I have one pump which is located at the oil boiler which needs to be on when fire is lit. This also serves the oil heating.

As the heating is on a timer the pump is never switched off. I had to kill electric at the mains to install a new outside socket and when I switched electric back on there is a knocking/clicking noise coming from pipes in the loft?

What could this be? Airlock? Valve not working correctly??

any advice please as its really annoying!!:mad::mad::mad:

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a badly designed, inefficient and possibly dangerous system to me.
If you haven't done anything to the pipework it's unlikely to be air, could be boiling water from your back boiler hitting cold pipes or just general kettling, hard to tell without a lot more information

Hi

I have oil central heating with an open fire back boiler.

I have one pump which is located at the oil boiler which needs to be on when fire is lit. This also serves the oil heating.

As the heating is on a timer the pump is never switched off. I had to kill electric at the mains to install a new outside socket and when I switched electric back on there is a knocking/clicking noise coming from pipes in the loft?

What could this be? Airlock? Valve not working correctly??

any advice please as its really annoying!!:mad::mad::mad:
Advice. .Rip it out before BB launches itself into space.

Sponsored Links
Yes, when I switch the pump off the clicking stops also when I chnage the speed of the pump the clicking either speeds up or slows down.

It's an Altec pump with green digits on it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back