Central heating query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I've got a central heating query. My house is a detached house and has a odd floor plan. My living room is open plan with the stairs leading into it.

There is a door that leads to the kitchen, then there is a door that leads to the front door. A little porch if you like. This then leads to my office which is a converted garage and then there is a downstairs toilet. So you come in through the front door, then through another door into my living room. There is nowhere to put a radiator in the porch area and it is always cold.

Every one of the radiators in my house are fitted with a TRV. I have one small single panel radiator with fins on the outside wall of my living room. Then on the other side of the room (on the wall that would have been the garage wall) there is a longer single panel radiator with fins. The main problem I have though is that given the layout of the room I cannot have a radiator without some form of furniture in front of it. The long radiator is completely blocked by a sofa.

When I put my central heating on the boiler tends to run almost constantly and never reaches my set temperature.

So it's costing an absolute fortune trying to heat my house. I've been looking online and had some advice to set both TRVs on the rads In the living room where my thermostat is to max (basically bypassing them).

All my radiators are single panel with fins. My house was built in 2000 and we moved into it in 2014. We had a new boiler fitted in 2015, it is an Ideal Combi Vogue C32 with an ideal PRT4 timer/programmer.

I have roughly about 10 proper radiators and 2 tall radiators in the kitchen and conservatory (these are not TRV controlled). My kitchen is always very cold.

In the summer it's not too bad, the house is generally warm. We do have cavity wall insulation however, the loft doesn't have the usual 2 layers of insulation. It only has insulation between the joists not over the top of them as well. Could this be where we are losing the heat??

Sorry for the waffle. My question is, would I be better off changing the single panel radiators for double ones in the living room where the thermostat is. Or is there a problem with the balancing? If I set my thermostat to 20 degrees none of the rooms seems to reach that temperature, not even the living room. Especially not the kitchen or conservatory. Probably best off turning the conservatory one off altogether really.

Thanks.

Brett

Sponsored Links
Turn the lounge TRVs to max and the thermostat to 30 degrees and see what happens. Just for a test.

Is it possible the radiators are full of sludge or your heating pump is worn out?

That's why the water is not circulating properly. All our radiators reach temperature in about 7 mins and the boiler is set to 65c

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back