Central Heating Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating is designed so that the hot water and central heating can be used independently of each other. My query is this. I am going away for three weeks next January which may coincide with a cold snap. If I turn the cold water stop cock off (as I usually do when I go away) can I still leave the central heating on timer so that it comes on twice a day at a low temperature? There is obviously already water in the radiators, so i don't think this will be a problem, unless you know otherwise :D Thank you.

Sponsored Links
i leve mine on 24 /7 just change the stat setting.

leave yours on low all the time

breezer said:
i leve mine on 24 /7 just change the stat setting.

leave yours on low all the time

yes, thanks I do that anyway but the water supply is normally on, when I go away it will be switched off, is that still ok?

ours is a combi, so now its working (don't ask) it never needs water

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
ours is a combi, so now its working (don't ask) it never needs water

mine isnt a combi, so I'm still not sure :( does anyone else know?

if its a combi, not a problem. (i had probs with mine thats why i said dont ask) to reassure your self you could turn water off this week end and leave heating on

hansi said:
Combi,gravity or sealed system make no difference so you should be okay but why do you want to turn the water off ?

The only possible problem with turning your stop cock off and leaving the heating on is if you have an open vented heating system. The heating header tank will not refill if the level drops for any reason. Having said that: it's very unliley to cause a problem.

Turning your stop cock off while you are away is a generally a good idea. If you do get a burst at least the flowing water will eventually stop and not flow down the street for a couple of weeks.

masona said:
hansi said:
Combi,gravity or sealed system make no difference so you should be okay but why do you want to turn the water off ?

because, a few weeks ago, the ball on the ballcock in the feeder tank in the loft snapped off and fell into the tank and it was like Niagara Falls coming out of the overflow all over the walls, I got it replaced, but wouldn'y want anything like that to happen if I'm away from the house.

mave said:
The only possible problem with turning your stop cock off and leaving the heating on is if you have an open vented heating system. The heating header tank will not refill if the level drops for any reason. Having said that: it's very unliley to cause a problem.

Turning your stop cock off while you are away is a generally a good idea. If you do get a burst at least the flowing water will eventually stop and not flow down the street for a couple of weeks.

not sure if it is an open vented system, how can I tell?

Feed and Expansion tank that supply water to the central heating system.Approx 2 cubic foot size.

ahem :( I have a small tank in the loft and a separate header tank for the power shower, can't see anything else

hansi said:
ahem :( I have a small tank in the loft and a separate header tank for the power shower, can't see anything else

Thats the one. You have an open vented sytem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back