Central heating question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back boiler system with pump on central heating and gravity hot water. I have discovered that the pump is switched off by the room thermostat but the boiler continues to fire for up to a minute afterwards. The boiler will continue to fire up/go out until the pump is again switched on by the room thermostat. My gut instinct is that this is wrong but I'd like to check before I call someone out to look at it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A hot water demand would keep the boiler on, is it that?
Have you got a thermostat on the HW cylinder, or any motorised valves?

No cylinder stat or motorised valves on the system. I hadn't considered that the boiler might be heating the hot water, but I assumed that the pump would run constantly with any demand for central heating or am I wrong?

GRAVITY hot water.

Why would you pump run on h/w demand?

Your pump will run ONLY on c/h demand, and whilst your heating is operating your h/w will circulate by gravity.

If you select h/w your boiler will cycle continually whilst its on demand.

David

Sponsored Links
Hang on...Am I writing in chinese or someting???? I never said that I expected the pump to run with a hot water demand. I have assumed, rightly or wrongly that while there is a demand for CENTRAL HEATING that the pump should be running all the time, to circulate the heated water and as I've read elsewhere dissipate heat from the boiler. I have assumed, again rightly or wrongly that when the room thermostat is satisfied that the burner on the boiler should turn off and not the pump. If I am wrong and this is the correct operation of this type of system then all well and good but if there is a problem with the system operating in this way then I would like to get it sorted out. Apologies if this sounds a bit tetchy, the wife is out and I'm having to look after the kids. I need a drink now.

I think you should remember that the people of this forum give their time and experience for free. Try suggesting that to your solicitor and see how far you get.

:eek: :rolleyes:

typical

Joe is right, being a bit more polite would go a long way

flemsbog said:
Hang on...Am I writing in chinese or someting???? I never said that I expected the pump to run with a hot water demand. I have assumed, rightly or wrongly that while there is a demand for CENTRAL HEATING that the pump should be running all the time, to circulate the heated water and as I've read elsewhere dissipate heat from the boiler. I have assumed, again rightly or wrongly that when the room thermostat is satisfied that the burner on the boiler should turn off and not the pump. If I am wrong and this is the correct operation of this type of system then all well and good but if there is a problem with the system operating in this way then I would like to get it sorted out. Apologies if this sounds a bit tetchy, the wife is out and I'm having to look after the kids. I need a drink now.

You're thinking of pump overrun on a timer or on a temperature sensor. Your old BBU system doesn't have either of these things.

You're quite right in that the room stat starts the pump and it only does this when there is a demand for heat. The timer still on heating but temperature being satisfied does not equal a demand for heat - hence the pump stops.

As was said before, the boiler starting and stopping is due to hot water demand only.

Thanks for the reply EliteHeat. I'll leave the darn thing alone then.
To the others who chastised me....point taken, but I did apologise for the apparent tone. Well, till next time!

Some people,,,,,,,, i ask you !

Typical individual, wont pay the money to get a competent person in, then moans that the FREE info he / she gets from the internet "Good info" i might add, is not what he wanted !!!!!!!!! :eek:

CorgiIOW said:
Some people,,,,,,,, i ask you !

Typical individual, wont pay the money to get a competent person in, then moans that the FREE info he / she gets from the internet "Good info" i might add, is not what he wanted !!!!!!!!! :eek:
What a load of tripe - you've just jumped on the bandwagon full of people having a go at someone who doesn't deserve it.

The OP has done nothing wrong other than react emotionally to one post that, frankly, didn't address his question. And a sentence or so later he apologised for his own tetchiness. AND, he later expressed thanks for the help that he'd receieved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back