Central Heating radiators not heating correctly

MC1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I need some help please

I have an open vented central heating system with a Potterton Profile Boiler. Probably 25 years old

I was having trouble getting all of the radiators hot at the same time, by turning the upstairs off I could get most of the downstairs hot for a while and vice versa, but the temperatures would go up and down. The pump was making very loud whirring noises, so thinking it was the pump this was replaced with a Grundfos UPS3.

The problem has persisted (it may even be worse), the pump noise is too loud even on setting 1 and the radiators are still not heating, one or 2 will get hot but the boiler cuts out quickly, it never runs for long.

I have tried
  • Balancing the radiators
  • Draining and refilling the system
  • Replacing the automatic air vent
  • feeding mains water through the flow and return pipes - this seems to run well
When the pump is turned on and off there are loud water gurgling noises in the airing cupboard, where the pump is located. There is no air in the radiators

There is a manual (ball valve) bypass - 15mm from return to flow
There is an air separator
There is a shared feed and expansion pipe.

All that has changed since the heating worked well last winter is that a bathroom radiator was removed (pipes capped off) and a towel warmer moved a replaced with a taller one.
Any suggestions gratefully received
MC1

Sponsored Links
Check your bypass, is the pump fitted correctly? Zone valve fitted correctly and working correctly?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The bypass seems to join the return from the hot water cylinder. It is always very hot. If i shut it off the situation does not improve.

the pump looks correct. It is on the feed, arrow pointing down towards the motorised valves.

The zone valves are working correctly.

many thanks

Air in the system, that is why pump is screaming

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks again.

That is what I thought too, but I cant shift it. Tried draining down, forcing mains through etc. I can hear a little coming out of the automatic air vent occasionally but no change.

its like air is constantly getting in
Thanks

Get rid of the air separator, its probably blocked stopping the water circulating.

TMLK6511.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Picasso, it was the air separator.
Working well now (touch wood)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back