Central heating replacement project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a 1960s chalet style four bedroom detached house and I am looking to have the arcaic central heating system replaced. I presently have a Potterton Kingfisher II boiler with the cold water tank and expansion tank in the eves storage area behind the small bedroom. Plus the bathroom is on the ground floor and we are going to install a on suite with shower in the master bedroom.

I have a very busy household and will often have a bath running as well as the heating on plus dishwasher and washing machine running at the same time. After a bit of researching I feel the most suitable system would be a unvented sytem boiler set upwith the boiler and hot water cylinder in the loft space. plus complete replacement of all radiators (very rusted and old).

I have had a plumber round who has said the job can be done but we will need a better water flow into the house from the mains, which requires repalcement of the old copper piping and molling a new plastic piping (22mm?) into the house.

I have been quoted £530 including VAT for the new pipe into the house and £6300 for the central heating replacement including 11 rads and a 4ft heated towel rail.

Does this quote sound reasonable? and can any one offer any experience with this set up and improvements in performance and economy over a standard boiler?

Thanks

Ben

Sponsored Links
Its impossible to say for certain whether its a good price or not BUT I would hazard a guess at the overall cost of the parts alone could be anything from £3000-£5000 depending on Manufacturer/size/type etc.

Unvented Cylinder (£800-£1300)

Boiler (£600-£1200)

Rads (£70-£200+) (x11)

Misc parts (pipe, fittings etc etc) £300+

And then you've also got to consider labour costs too.

Best thing you could do is to get 2 or 3 quotes before you decide for certain, with 3 quotes you should be able to guage what seems fair. I'd also be interested in the details of the quotes, ie, what boiler/cylinder would be fitted too.

I have been quoted £530 including VAT for the new pipe into the house and £6300 for the central heating replacement including 11 rads and a 4ft heated towel rail.

Does this quote sound reasonable? and can any one offer any experience with this set up and improvements in performance and economy over a standard boiler?
Ben
Is that quote based on the heating circuits installed with copper or plastic pushfit. If the latter I would be wary on the longevity of the system. All copper is going to add to the cost of materials and labour. Ask if he is oversizing the radiators. If hes not, then ask why.
Unvented cylinder should be at least 210 litres and worth going for a twin coil version to give you the option of solar panels.

The heating circuits would be copper, I believe the plastic piping is purely for the connection between the mains water and the house.

Sponsored Links
Sounds quite cheap to me, but without seeing the job and knowing the spec it's impossible to tell. I had a customer who had to upgrade the mains supply for an unvented, they were charged £900 by the water company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back