Single loop central heating. Boiler etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1930s house with an old central heating single loop system. It was working fine (with a back boiler) but we had to have the hot water cylinder replaced. Apparently it was ancient. The plumber was able to replace the cylinder but he found it complicated to set up the central heating system again. he said it was now necessary to have a cold water tank in the loft, for example. So at the moment we have no central heating. If it worked fine before, why is it so hard to get it working again? I really don't want to replace all the pipes etc in the house.
A further thought. Is it necessary for the central heating boiler also to heat the hot water, when the immersion heater can do this? Would it help simplify the plumbing work if the boiler powered the central heating only, and not the hot water?

Sponsored Links
I might be way off here but could your plumber have changed the cylinder and not realised it was primatic thats why you now need a tank?

Sounds as though you had a non-standard cylinder and your plumber replaced it with a normal one. Need more info to help any!

Sponsored Links
A photo could help, are u thinking primatic aswell twgas?

Yes, I think it was a prismatic tank (whatever that is). I am okay with a new cold water tank in the loft but will this allow the system to made workable? (I don't need it to be good as I plan moving house!)

All should be fine with the header tank.

But perhaps even better if made into a sealed system!

Tony

All should be fine with the header tank.

But perhaps even better if made into a sealed system!

Tony
old back boilers were not often designed for sealed systems, although some did have upgrade kits available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back