Central Heating Sealer/Treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

So, i've got a couple of sludgy radiators that im going to remove this weekend in order to clean and just have a couple of questions. I guess its worth mentioning that this is for a combi boiler so i guess its what they call a sealed system.

1) When taking the rads off, is it best to take the rads of the pipes or disconnect on the rad side if you see what i mean.

2) Do you think a garden hose will be sufficient to flush out the radiator itself or do you need a pressure washer type thing?

I think that i also have a small leak somewhere in the system as the pressure gauge drops over a couple of week period. I've read that you can splat some 'sealer' stuff in to the system to sort out any small leaks. my question is once this does its job should i also then add some inhibitor or does this stuff also contain inhibitor.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Sponsored Links
Disconect the rad side.

Internal leak sealer (fernox) can some times work , but there can be risks to using it !!

has been known to restrict the water ways on Giannoni heat exchangers ??????

It does not have inhibitor in .

Aweomes, thanks for the reply.

So i guess that if i do go down the sealer route, i assume its then appropriate to then add inhibitor after a short time period?

Thanks

Ok, so it's leak sealer day today (and a new PRV!), do I also add inhibitor at the same time or is it best to let the leak sealer do its job first?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
why are you fitting a new PRV ? if you are getting water coming out the pipe outside then this is why your pressure is dropping so no need for any leak sealer

So I was going to use leak sealer because that amount I thought I was losing did not appear to be what is being lost through pipe to the outside.

The PRV is being replaced as most of the treads I've read suggest that once it goes it doesn't reseat properly.

Ta

So I was going to use leak sealer because that amount I thought I was losing did not appear to be what is being lost through pipe to the outside.

The PRV is being replaced as most of the treads I've read suggest that once it goes it doesn't reseat properly.

Ta

you can get grit under the seating & you could try opening it up with the filling loop open & try to flush it through, check the pipe outside put a clear plastic freezer bag over the pipe & tape it up (so no rain gets in there) & see if you get water in there, you would be surprised depending on the size of the system you can go from 1 bar to nothing only losing a cup full of water, try that first if you are still getting water in the bag change the prv but leave putting any leak sealer in there unless you have to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back