central heating ( softened water )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Helo All

About a year ago i fitted a water softener , it has been great , but in the mean time i have also fitted a new cylinder , so the system was re filled
using softened water.

I have just found out that softened water should not be used in the system, can anyone tell me why and what damage i could have done .

I intend today to flush out/drain the system with the water softener bypass on , after i have been out to get inhibitor.

Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
There is a lot of rubbish talked about it. Check with the manufacturers of the inhibitor chemical you are going to use.

I have a softener and use Sentinel X100, they said it is OK to use
http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/product/detail/central-heating/liquids/x100-inhibitor/ look at FAQs

"Will Sentinel X100 protect my system if it is filled with softened water?

Softened water, particularly those from household softeners not conforming to BS EN 14743, is not suitable for filling a domestic central heating system unless the water is treated with a high quality corrosion inhibitor. Unlike many other products on the market, Sentinel X100 has been especially designed to cope with all types of supply water, even softened water and affords complete protection. "

At one time I considered asking my window cleaner (who carries a tank of purified water in his van) to pump 100 litres inside for me to fill the CH system, but couldn't be bothered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back