Water softener or Combimate???????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a hard water area and BG have just advised my nieghbour to have a water softener fitted otherwise he could end up with major problems with his C/H system.

Water softeners seem quite expensive compared to something i found online called a "combimate" that uses siliphos.

Will a combimate give me the same protection as a water softener?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Softened water is not required or recommended in your CH system. It is only for HW/CW supplies.

Sponsored Links
..........ok then

Am i right in thinking that a water softener will prevent scale (or the causes of scale) entering my pipwork?

Where as the combimate simply treats the water so scale is not formed on the pipework?

I think a water softener offers additional benifits but won't they both protect my pipework etc?

Instead of believing this BG stuff ask yourself how many people you know with SCALED UP central heating pipes.

Yes, i thought so.

There are some very good BG fitters out there, but they are losing over 1000 a year and many replacements are youngsters with almost no practical experience who have been on a fasttrack training programme. And a significant number of these will jack BG in within 24 months.

If you want soft hot and cold water, buy a water softener. The best way to protect your CH circuit is to clean it, fill it, dose it and leave it forever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back