Central Heating System Confusion

Sponsored Links
Seen this a few times with BG systems, you can't select CH on it own. Daft I know but it's done to speed up the install. As said you could sort it out with a 240Vac/240Vac SPST relay or just wire in the HW off on the programme & NO or SAT on the cylinder stat, as it should be.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. The system is fully pumped with a 3 port valve but there's no wire going to the programmer from the 3 port valve to say HW off. I don't think the wiring is in too much of a state - like you say, they've cut this corner to save time and the last owner of the house mustn't have been bothered. I wish you were in my area Delta as you sound like you know what you're talking about! Out of interest what do you call yourself? A heating engineer? Just asking as I'm having trouble finding someone to come out and sort it.

And what does DIA stand for?

DoItAll presumably.

If you are in the house wanting central heating, it is likely that you will want hot water as well. That's why CH only is sometimes not offered.

Sponsored Links
You can't do that with a Y plan unless it's wired wrong Dickie

Oh I'm sure it's not wired like a 'Y' plan DIA. Ever seen it where they use the mid-poss valve as a divertor valve?? The grey & white is connected together!! Gawd knows what that does to the Resistors or Diode??.................. :LOL: :LOL:

Doesn't harm them at all!

Seen this a few times with BG systems, you can't select CH on it own. Daft I know but it's done to speed up the install. As said you could sort it out with a 240Vac/240Vac SPST relay or just wire in the HW off on the programme & NO or SAT on the cylinder stat, as it should be.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. The system is fully pumped with a 3 port valve but there's no wire going to the programmer from the 3 port valve to say HW off. I don't think the wiring is in too much of a state - like you say, they've cut this corner to save time and the last owner of the house mustn't have been bothered. I wish you were in my area Delta as you sound like you know what you're talking about! Out of interest what do you call yourself? A heating engineer? Just asking as I'm having trouble finding someone to come out and sort it.

And what does DIA stand for?

Ah, DIA is my very good friend 'doitall'. A Gentleman that has forgotten more about our trade than I know, that's a very helpfull fund of knowledge & a highly respected member here........... ;)

I'm the infamous Sir D.ck Puller, I'm a time-served Plumber/Heating Engineer & Cultural Attache for Glasgow Gorbals.

I hope you get sorted out & I'm pleased I could be of some help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back