Central heating system & inhibitor - vital inclusion or

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So as well as the help on the forums i've been having a gander at YouTube on radiator removal & the like & one of the videos mentioned this inhibitor stuff. Then another i saw showed putting it in to the system (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI3S8B7f_vY)

Which made me wonder - is it vital? Does it have to go in?

Earlier this year we had 2 radiators removed with 1 then re-fitted (the other is still off). Through this process we had to have a plumber out & the system drained & refilled. No inhibitor was put in at that point & i'm sure the plumber never even mentioned it.

So to the question - is it vital or is it not really that important?

Sponsored Links
Many will argue on a sealed system (one with filling loop that you fill water pressure rather than one with open tank in loft) that there is no need as once filled the remaining air in the system will dissolve/react with the metals and then the system should not corrode further.

However there still the effect of "Galvanic Corrossion" where dissimilar metals will react to each other (usually the iron from the radiators breaking down into magnatite (the black stuff you often see in heating systems))

So for the average price of £10 --£15 for a bottle of chemical that provided the heating is'nt leaking or drained again can have active protection for a few years its well worth adding IMO But I understand as your plumber has done, most will not add or check levels while working on a system, usualy only adding it when fitting a boiler then the idea is forgoton for any future work.

Its ok for your plumber who won't be around in a couple of years when your system is in the advanced stages of corrosion and you start getting premature failure of components, poor system performance, expensive maintenance bills and increased gas usage, but hey at least you saved a tenner that one time!

All manufacturers expect the system to be cleaned and inhibited to the correct level. the benchmark cert has a section pertaining to this, but hey what do they know? Get your system treated correctly for long term benefits.

Sponsored Links
That's that question answered then. Thanks.

Didn't know if it was just a money maker or not. I saw them rad clamps when looking at removing the rad & thought good idea & read up on them & you guys pan them as a waste of money & not needed. Just thought id ask about this stuff too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back