Central Heating System Leaking Under Floor

Whilst searching for options around leak finding I’ve come across both thermal imaging and using UV dye in the system.

You can hire a thermal camera from some tool hire shops. No idea if they are good enough or if a layman could be successful.

Thanks for that. I actually have my own very expensive thermal (rifle) scope, which is pretty good. I may try that. It's a Pulsar Trail.

Sponsored Links
Serious kit!

Range finder OK? even to 1,000 Yards???

Yes, can see pretty good animal heat signatures to well over 1000M. At the sub 500M range, the clarity is very good. Loads of YouTube videos.
The range finder is just "ok" it's a comparator using typical animal sizes - deer, fox, duck etc. But good enough to be within a couple of metres.

Dunno what it will be like in a house mind. May be too close.

If a leak is in a screed or behind a plasterboard wall a thermal imaging camera sometimes works if the pipes are below a well insulated floor as in newer builds it wont work

Sponsored Links
My thermal was no use, too close. I'd need to be few hundred yards away. Pipes under the floor were just a huge heat plume.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back