Central Heating system not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler started making really loud banging noises sounded as if it was going to erupt. The flame was very white and it made noises I can only describe as glass breaking. Immediately turned the whole system off.
My brother isnt a qualifed plumber but has installed plumbing in his own homes over many years so he had a look. He started the system up. The valves seem ok and are opening etc., The pump is making whirling sounds but not actually sounding as if it is working. The boiler isnt starting up at all. He was wondering if the pump itself controls the boiler and if it is the pump gone then perhaps the boiler is ok. Oh I hope so!! The pump is a Grundfos ordinary central heating pump (approx. 8-10 years old) and the boiler is a Barlo -Balmoral 65F (approx the same age). It was making a few noises the day before but stopped after about 45 secs and seemed ok. I hope someone can help me, really appreciate some help. Couldnt have come at a worse time moneywise!!!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it may be the pump and then the boiler overheated , it may have a reset button on it somewhere which needs resetting,but I would change the pump first 8 to 10 yrs from a pump is good going .

You'd better have it checked over by a Heating Engineer. The boiler sounds as if it may have suffered some damage. The white flame might indicate a leaking heat exchanger.

Sponsored Links
Thanks ever so much for your answer. I was rather hoping it was the pump. Not actually seen a reset button, but will start with a new pump. Thanks for your time in replying.!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back