Central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating my bedroom wing and i have 5 radiators fed from main flow and return pipes in loft, they are 22mm, can i cut the flow and return pipes and fit gate valves and then join flow and return pipes together so the other radiators in house work untill i finish renovations ??

Sponsored Links
If the five radiators are the last on that part of the circuit you could just cap the flow and return pipes with 22mm "stop end" fittings (push fit or compression) before the first radiator. There is no need to connect the flow and return provided you have a permanently open radiator or a bypass still in the circuit before the stop ends.

If there are further radiators after the five, you could bypass and then disconnect the the five. Cut the feed and return before and after the five, then connect the feed before the first to the feed after the fifth, connect the returns in the same way. You might consider using plastic piping for the bypasses, with push fit connectors. (Don't forget pipe inserts for connecting plastic pipe to push fit fittings).

Alternatively, fit compression stop ends instead of the valves to each of the five radiators as you remove each one.

Any of the above would require a drain down before you start and after you finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back