central heating tank height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first thanks to the people who replied to my other question about pipe insulation.

I have another question about the heating system in the bungalow. All the workings are in the loft, the boiler pump and tank etc. The bottom of the tank is about 370mm above the boiler and there is a pipe that goes above this and then turns into it like a u-bend. The highest point of this bend is 515mm above the bottom of the tank, dunno if that matters or not ?

The thing is, I have read somewhere (can't remember where sorry) that the tank should be 1M above the highest point in the system, which it obviously isn't. The heating seems to work OK but after finding some strange diy stuff (My cousin is an electrician and he has found some work that has been done badly by I guess the previous owner) I'm wondering if I should get somebody in to check the heating before the winter comes.

When I signed up to British Gas for my energy, I got a free boiler check done as part of the deal and the engineer didn't say anything was wrong but seeing as he was only in the loft for 15 minutes or so, I guess he only checked to see if the boiler is working OK and nothing else.

There was some paperwork left with the boiler for when the heating was originally put in in 2003 but the company that did it doesn't seem to exist any more. They seemed to have put the hot water boiler in as well in the bathroom and that works perfectly. Loads of hot water for showers and doing the pots.

I forgot to say that the heating boiler is called an Alpha but I didn't get any paperwork left with it so I can't tell you which one sorry. I don't like messing with electrics or gas but if I need to take any covers off to tell anybody what type it is if somebody can tell me how to do it I will if it would help.

Do I have anything to worry about or should this be alright ? I don't know if I can afford to get anybody in just yet because of the money I've spent already moving in so if there's possibly something wrong with it I will just turn it off completely seeing as it's warm now.

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
You are overthinking it. It it works just leave it alone. And it's a cistern, not a tank:)

Thankyou densof13. That's a weight off my mind. I guess where I read about the 1M height is not true then. It's nice to know that it will be OK when winter comes. I suppose the British Gas engineer would have said something if he thought it was wrong anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back