Height of central heating oil tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am replacing my old steel oil tank with a plastic one, I have the old style single feed oil pipe, as the plastic tanks need a complete base not just end piers like the old steel one I am wondering if I can get away with putting it on a concrete base just above ground level, the ground falls slightly to the boiler so I think the bottom of the tank will be about 6 inches higher than the oil pump on the boiler. Appreciate any feedback from anyone with experience of this as I do not want to do this and find it needs lifting up 2 foot like the old tank.
Regards, Vincentvtwin.

Sponsored Links
If the height is as you say, there will be no problem.

However, why on earth would you want to have a plastic tank instead of a reliable steel tank? There is no good engineering reason for having plastic instead of steel, in fact, it is quite the opposite.

A properly built (most are) steel tank with proper external treatment will easily outlast a plastic one.

There are a few extras to add to the steel tank which will give long term benefits, but they are not commonly found on tanks.

Thanks Oilman, I have to change out the steel tank as the top has a big hole in it, I wondered why the oil level did not go down recently, then the heating stopped and i found out I had a tank of water!!!

Regards, Vincentvtwin

Fit a replacement steel one, not plastic. These people will make one to your spec. I suggest you have drip rails welded on the bottom, and have it fully painted before delivery. You may be pleasantly surprised at the price.

If you have a hole in the top, does the tank need replacing? I would screw a plate over the hole with automotive seam sealer to fill the gap, and perhaps put a shelter over the top of the tank. A shelter would be good over ANY tank to prevent degrading by water crawling underneath. As long as the bottom is sound, replacement is not needed.

Sponsored Links
A shelter would be good over ANY tank to prevent degrading by water crawling underneath

Providing the shelter and tank positioning comply with oil storage tank spillage damage risk assessment and the fire risk assessment, and installation is notifiable to building control.

Shelter means something like curved corrugated steel sheets over the top to shed the rain.

Repairing the existing tank would not be notifiable, nor would the steel sheets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back