heating oil storage tanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need a new oil tank - approx 1500 -2000 litres capacity. Should we get a steel one (current one is steel) or a plastic one? what are the advantages and drawbacks for each type?

Sponsored Links
I have recently replaced my 2500 litre steel tank due to rust - when it was first delivered it was rusty and the damage was done, even though I kept it painted.
I now have a plastic tank which has to be a bunded one, so now I have a tank of slightly larger dimensions which only holds 1300 litres maximum :( . Its a huge heavy thing (took 4 guys to get it in place) and the base had to be changed into a continuous flat surface from the usual two brick piers.
There's been a fair bit of discussion here about plastic tanks and their failing, either due to sunlight activity (the plastic is supposed to be u/v stable) or damage being done by improper bases.
Personally I think I'd go back to steel.
John :)

Plastic ones are maintenance-free, but may not last as long as steel ones, however a steel one will probably be more expensive. Your installer will be able to advise on installation locations (it may not be possible to put it where your old one is due to changing regs)

Sponsored Links
Yes, I've got a plastic tank but they have proved to be not as long lived as the manufacturers have suggested.

They are also wide open to pilferage, kids with air rifles, falling tree limbs, failing foundations, inferior fire resistance - before you take into consideration manufacturing defects.

Many thanks all for prompt replies and useful information. We'll go for steel.
Now to decide whether to go for bunded or not. I don't understand why only very large tanks have to have a bund as a leak is a leak is a leak. Hopefully the engineers from a selling/fitting outfit will be able to advise.
Thanks also for alert re official site which gives a list of approved enginners.

Oftec does not approve engineers. They run an assessment register. Those passing the assessment are registered and thus allowed to self-certify the work they do conforms to building regulations. There is nothing to stop anybody doing the work providing they liaise with building control.

If you get a registered "engineer" to do the work, it may be done to conform, but there are many instances where it was not.

If a steel tank is installed correctly, and preferably with a cover over it to shed the rain, it should last 40 years. Much longer than the oil supply according to some sources.

I have seen plastic tanks which have not lasted 3 years. plastic is not so much maintenance free, but rather unmaintainable, though it is possible to do repairs with the right equipment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back