Oil Tank Position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my steel oil tank with a plastic one. The old tank is raised about 2 foot off the ground on brick piers. I have read this is to stop the steel tanks rusting but is it also so that the oil can flow due to gravity? Also do I have to raise the new plastic tank off the ground (it will be situated on a concrete base) and if so what height would be recommended?

Sponsored Links
The height of the tank will depend on the height of the boiler.

The base and siting of the tank require special consideration and should be done to meet environmental and fire safety considerations have a look at the OFTEC website there should be info there to help you. You may even need a double-skinned tank if near a water course/drain/ditch.

Thanks, Tipper.
I know about the environmental conditions that is why I am resiting the new tank, it's the height that I am concerned about. Does it just have to be higher than the boiler or a certain height above the boiler?

You might get away with the bottom being level with the boiler burner but if the oil level is low it may lose prime and struggle. Best to be say 0.3m or more above the burner level if possible.

However it is possible to site the tank below but you will need a gadget called a 'Tigerloop' and additional piping (two-pipe system) but these can be troublesome and cause early failure of the burner pump.

Best to keep it simple in my opinion.

Oh but if you're feeding a thirsty AGA (vapourising burner)it will definitley need to be higher.

Sponsored Links
As Tipper says, replacement oil tanks are now governed by Building Regulations on the type, installation & location; they should be either installed by an OFTEC registered installer or notified & inspected by your LABC. Not being able to produce a compliance certificate could give you problems in the future.

I am replacing my steel oil tank with a plastic one. The old tank is raised about 2 foot off the ground on brick piers. I have read this is to stop the steel tanks rusting but is it also so that the oil can flow due to gravity? Also do I have to raise the new plastic tank off the ground (it will be situated on a concrete base) and if so what height would be recommended?
Oil pumps can be used where the oil level is below that of the pump. When I replaced my pump I needed to fit a plug supplied to cater for this.
I have a plastic tank on a concrete base that is 1.6 metre below the level of the oil pump. (Tank diam. 1.1 metre). This replaced the steel tank that stood on brick piers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back