Central heating - tap tap sound!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A familiar question I would guess! When the boiler goes on at 5.30am I occassionally wake to hear a noise akin to to a soft "tap-tap" or creaking sound from the central heating system in my bedroom (on the first floor). Whilst half in the land of nod this morning and awoken thus I had a look around the house (I have a cold water tank, a one-year-old boiler (flushed too when installed) and there are seven radiators on two floors) and none of the noises were coming from the radiators themselves (which have all been bled of late) but appeared to be in the pipes feeding the radiators. Any clues?

Sponsored Links
poss the expansion of the pipework under the floor where the pipes cross the joists.

Pipes too tight in the joists, holes too small where the pipes go to the rads, plasterboard touching the pipes, same with any boxing, and in some cases the plastic spacers have been left off the rad brackets.

Its a simple case of the pipes knocking under the floor when heating is on. Im afraid not much can be done about this unless you want to start lifting floors and investigating and even then it might not rid the system of the problem.

Its down to you and if you can put up with it!

Kev

Sponsored Links
Change the on time for the heating & use it as an alarm clock. :LOL:
I have the same problem, its reassuring to know that the heating has come on. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back