just moved in - tapping Radiator!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Wonder if you can help with an annoying "tapping noise" from one radiator on the ground floor of my home. We've just moved in and the central heating system is a Baxi Combination boiler which is wall mounted and has neon lights to show status with seperate controls for heating and water (temperature gauges).

I have bled all of the radiators till the "whistle" noise stopped but now i have this one radiator that continues to creak/click every 30 seconds or so. No other rads are doing this.

Can you offer any guidance?

Rgds, Cliff

Sponsored Links
could be a trv the wrong way round and the flow of water pushing the valve seat against the body of the valve

expansion and contraction of the rad and brackets or something loose (blobs of solder) in the pipe. Does the noise stop when the you open a hot water tap?

hi, thanks for your quick responces. I put the hot water on and the noise did stop........not sure if its a coincidence or not, also, the noise has also seemed to have stopped before I read your replies!.......right now there is no noises from that radiator

is it something that happens once the heating is on for an hour or so and it just needs a running in period?

Sponsored Links
if it does stop when you turn the hot tap on it means that its not expansion\contraction but something thats effected by the flow of water (with hot tap on flow ceases through the radiators).

thanks for the root cause analysis :).

so in terms of a fix, is there something I can do with the right tools?, or should I call in someone to check the system over? (as i have just moved into the property)

The baxi cmbi boiler is 3 years old and the previous owners never turned the heating on as they were allergey sufferes....do you think a service is needed?

I'm no expert (yet!) but if it hasnt been service in the last 12months then yes get a Corgi man\woman in to service it. Do you have a service book for the boiler stating when it was last serviced?

They will probably charge extra for anywork other than the service and you may well need/want some inhibitor added to the system (prevents corrosion).

Hi bster - i agree, I'll organise a corgi registered person to check out the system - as i dont have insurance on the boiler - how much do you reckon a service should cost me?

thanks again for your advise

Cliff

Listen to the tapping carefully ... If there is a rhythm like 3 quick taps then 3 slow taps then another 3 quick ones ... You'll need to start pulling up floorboards quickly as the installers have left their apprentice behind :LOL:

It's amazing what you'll remember from your boy scout days when you've fallen asleep on your lunch break and awoken to find you've been left behind under the floorboards :LOL: :LOL:

LOL, I like the banter, made me giggle !

what ive since noticed is that the tapping continues every 5 seconds or so

wheres the best place to organise a Corgi service person to check out my system?

thanks again for all your contributions!

Cliff

If you do a Google search for the Corgi website there's a link telling you who your local registered plumbers are based on your location.

No apprentice nowadays would know Morse code :rolleyes: so ...--.--.-... the lot of you :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back