Noise in radiators and pipes - thermostatic valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved into a 1930s house with (what I was told) a one pipe central heating sytstem and a combi boiler. The thermostat was in the living room very near a radiator. The living room was nice and hot but upstairs remained fairly cold. I had the thermostat removed and thermostatic radiator valves fitted (Mistral which I have never heard of).

Now I have tapping and wooshing noises in some radiators (which is annoying in the bedroom since it sounds like a dripping tap) and knocking in a pipe which can go on for hours at a time. These noises, apart from very brief knocking in the pipe when the heating was turned on, were not there before the TRVs were fitted. The plumber says noises are normal in any system but I did not have any in my old house with a 30 year old central heating system.

Help

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your TRV's are 'chattering'.
This is normally because they have been fitted on the return pipe instead of the flow pipe.
You need to change the valves around or buy dual flow which can be fitted to either side

Thanks, I spoke to the plumber last night and he said the TVRs could be fitted either end of the radiator. The installation guidance for the TVRs said they are bi-directional and can be fitted either vertically or horizontally in the flow or return . For best performance it is recommended that the head is fitted horizontally, which I have never seen and they haven't been fitted that way but with the head upright. I'll have to check with the plumber again but he doesn't seem keen on coming back to sort it out.

Sponsored Links
If you have read on the manufacturers instructions that they are indeed dual flow then the problem lies elsewhere!
However if they are a cheap make (I always fit Honeywell) they could still be the source of the noise.
I would be inclined to ask your plumber to revisit as the noise is clearly unacceptable given the fact that prior to fitting you did not have a problem

Thanks Bahco, I'll try and get him to come round again, although he is not keen. Have you ever heard of Mistral TVRs, made by Yorkshire Fittings? In my previous house I had Drayton, which were fine.

do you mean these?
mistral_trv_t.jpg

the "blurb" says

Thermostatic radiator valve
- Designed for 2 pipe systems
- Comes with 15mm olive and 8mm and 10mm reducing kits
- Reversible flow
- Decorating cap included

Yes Breezer, that's the one. So its sounds like its no good for a one pipe system. Where can I get the blurb from?

:oops: sorry they have run out of blurb, you have had all that was available, but it came from here

Have you tried turning down the other side radiator valve down to see if it make any difference.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try turning downthe other side of the radiator (the lockshield valve?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back