Easy radiator/three-way-valve wquestion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I received a good answer to this question recently "When the boiler goes on at 5.30am I occassionally wake to hear a noise akin to to a soft "tap-tap" or creaking sound from the central heating system in my bedroom (on the first floor)."
However on examination the central heating is not yet switched to on (we have a warm house!!), so surely there should not be any heating of water in the pipes as the warm water should be going into the boiler and not the piping. Should I fear that the three-way switch has failed and is allowing a small amount of water into the pipes that then heats up and causes noises to be heard in the pipes? I had not noticed the radiators getting hotter as they are turned down to zero on the radiators thermometers, so they would come on anyway.
Do three-way valves leak a bit, and are they easy to repair? I should add that a new one was fitted but two years ago.

Sponsored Links
Does the pipework from the boiler to the hot water tank run anywhere near the bedroom? That's all I can think of at the moment.

If the radiator valves are actually turned off there won't be any flow of hot water going anywhere near them.

Jackthom,
The boiler is in the kitchen on the ground floor at the back of the house and the water-tank in the bathroom directly above it on the first floor. The "pinging" pipework is at the front of the house on the first floor, so a long way away. I am guessing that I have a three-way-valve that is allowing water through?

Sponsored Links
Could it just be some creaking and rattling from pipe expansion in the hot water crcuit is being transmitted through the heating pipes to the radiator, which is working like a sounding board?

It is not unknown for pipework installation errors to lead to a reverse flow in the heating circuit when hot water only is selected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back