Central Heating Tripping Out ARGHHHHHHHH!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I live in a new build flat (built circa 2007) and for some reason, the Central Heating keeps tripping the switch.
We have a main fuse box with lots of various trip switches and next to it, there is a separate box that has 2 individual trip switches for the heating and for the hot water.

Around about the same time last year, and now and again since then but regularly over the past 2 weeks, the heating keeps going off because the fuse has tripped.

What can be causing this??

I bought a second hand freezer in the summer but this issue was occurring before that purchase so it surely cant be related.

Who should I contact to make an assessment? The Electricity supplier? The Central Heating Maker? or an electrician??

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Describe the thing that trips. What does it say on it? Does it have a 'Test' button?

there is 2 black dwitches one that has B6 400v that says timer & stat below and next to it is another dodgy switch that is B60 that says heat unit below. it is the heat unit switch that keeps tripping.

there is a red switch next to these which i think is the mains???

as i said, this is not the main fuse box in the cupboard. that is located alongside and seems to be fine.

Sounds as though the B60 is a 60 amp circuit breaker, which suggests your heating unit is electricity's attempt to replicate a gas boiler. My experience of these is that they have two immersion heater elements in them, and a circuit board that defies comprehension to anyone who hasn't been on the manufacturer's training course (and even then, sometimes).

If that interpretation is correct, then the 60 amp circuit breaker tripping out suggests either one of the immersion heaters has failed (does the trip happen about the same time every day, when a time switch would cut in?) or the circuit board has developed an electronic fault, in which case you probably need to start by looking for a manufacturer's label and contacting them to find an authorised maintenance agent.

Or you've got something completely different, in which case ignroe the foregoing ....

PJ

Sponsored Links
Yes, the whole flat is powered and heated by electricity Economy 10.
The heating is set to come on at the same time in the morning and evening during the working week and thats when it tends to happen (obviously).
What I don't get is that it doesn't happen 100% of the time when the heating is on??
In the morning, the only other appliance in the house running will be a fridge freezer which is still really new and a second hand freezer however, we had the problem with the tripping before I purchased the freezer.
Do you think that it will be an expensive fix or a switch / fuse replacement?
Scottish Hydro are not interested (unsuprisingly) so I either approach the Heatrae Central Heating suppliers (out of warranty now) or get a sparky in.
For a solution like this, what should I expect to be paying (in Edinburgh)?

If there is a High / Low setting on the system leave it on Low until it has powered up and then try switching to High. If that cures the problem then possibly the MCB ( B60 is a 60 amp circuit breaker ) has gone out of spec and needs changing NOT a DIY job.

As for getting it repaired if there is a fault then :-

You could try the builder of the house as failing heating systems might be covered by the warrantee on the new build. ( assuming they haven't conventiently for them gone of of business after selling the last house )

NHBC might help but they are invariably reluctant to act on small things.

LOL!! Yes, the developer went out of business on completion and the whole development is currently undergoing extensive and lengthy works carried out on behalf on NHBC. Its been a hard slog for some of the residents (not me, fortunately) but the end is in sight.

It looks as though I am just going to have to bite the bullet and get a sparky in to have a look.

My missus just said (I'm away at the mo) that she reckons it is the timer switch / fuse and NOT the heat unit switch!!

Oh sorry.....another update....
The heat unit trip switch is a B40 (not B60) and the timer switch is definately B6 400v.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back