Central Heating troubles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can someone please explain to an idiot like me how things work on my central heating?

I have a conventional boiler (Glowworm Flexcom HX 12) with a MegaFlow Tank, which has a gauge on a pipe in the airing cupboard.

Q. Do Heatrae Sadia make this megaflow tank?

Q. Does the Mega Flow tank have anything to do with the radiators?

Q. What pressure does the gauge read, i.e. is it for the hot water in the tank or the pressure in the radiators?

Q. How many pressure relief valves should there be?

I'm trying to solve a boiler cutting out problem, and I'm not having much luck, different people seem to be telling me different things

It is a new build property by the way, and it is now 2 years old.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Some pictures would help :idea: .
Yes Heatrae Sadia make the megaflo tank.
The only time that anything related with the cylinder, would have anything to do with the radiators, is if the cylinder is a package, ie the zone valves are all attatched/ around the cylinder
Is your system a sealed system or open vented?
If it is sealed ,then the gauge will probably be your system pressure.Also if it is sealed then you would (or should) have three pressure relief valves.One for the central heating circuit, and the other two would be for the cylinder.These are expansion relief and temp/pressure relief.
Again some pics would be handy.
Graham

Thanks for your reply, I am going to take some pictures tonight.

It is a sealed system. There is a braided flexible pipe which is used to re-pressurize the system, I figured that out after bleeding the radiators a year ago. There is a thing at the top of the airing cupboard which looks like a red UFO, I believe this is the expansion vessel for the central heating, is that correct?

The expansion for the hot water is inside the tank, is that correct?

I have been trying to resolve boiler fault codes, the builders plumbing company just say ring the boiler company, the boiler company have said it's a pressure problem with the central heating.

Got an independent chap to look over it today, not sure if he's any good as he couldn't find a specific fault, but he did comment there appears to be no pressure relief valve for the central heating. We could only find 2, so I'm glad you said 3, because that's what he said as well.

I presume this could be very bad?

Yeah the red UFO thing is the expansion vessel for the heating circuit.

What codes are you getting on your boiler?

The lack of a PRV on your heating is worrying.Obviously it is there in case the pressure goes above 3bar, then the PRV would(or should) operate,to discharge excess pressure.I would get your guy who came today to fit a PRV as soon as.Dont know what warranty you would of had with the house.Might be worth a call to the housebuilders to see if they can get it rectified.Of course it goes with out saying that if there is any warranty left on the boiler, this would be void if any fault/damage to the boiler happened, due to the lack of a PRV.
Graham

Sponsored Links
I phoned Persimmon, and they say they'll speak to the plumber. I hope to get a call tomorrow.

Apparently my 2 year guarantee is up on the 21st December, so it's close.

Below is lots of pics:
DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

A plumber from Persimmon's contractor has finally visited to inspect, and was horrified that it my central heating system does not have a pressure relief valve.

He admitted it is a legal requirement, as he phoned to book an urgent job with his office, they asked him, "can the customer hear you".

Thanks for fobbing me off with central heating problems for 2 years Persimmon!

Only until I paid for my own inspection (while the whole thing is under guarantee) I learn the system is illegal and dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back