Central Heating Valves near pump, help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During recent decorating we discovered that a fitting beneath the central heating pump which is housed inside the chimney breast due to being a parkray solid fuel system, had been leaking for some while, having drained the system I removed the valve to clean it and re-install, the fitting which screwed into a Tpiece had a screw shaft and barrel type assembly, I assume that it is used to regulate or balance flow, unfortunately after re-fitting the assembly I find that radiators no longer get warm and pump makes a funny noise, I assume that during re-assembly we have locked off the flow through incorrect adjustment of the barrel on the threaded shaft as the adjustment on the outside of the fitting refuses to move I assume that the adjustment screw on the outside is open to the max however the barrel has been incorrectly aligned on the threaded shaft so that it is in the closed position and cannot be opened due to the adjustment being fully opened. (hope that makes sense)

Could someone advise on the correct procedure for adjusting the barrel on the threaded shaft so that it works correctly or do I need to purchase a full assembly?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
do you mean one of these?
9987_l.jpg
if so you can get one (or two) from here

the other thing is you may have an airlock in your system, you will need to bleed the radiators, also in your case bleed the pump (you see that large screw in the middle SLOWLY undo it, untill water comes out then tighten it back up) and also is the pump the right way round?

There should be a arrow on the pump somewhere for the flow direction.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, that was the part and rather than mess about trying to adjust the internal barrels I have simply replaced the fitting.

Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back