Mira 8 Mixer Valve - Lubricant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Mira 8 Mixer Valve as old as it maybe serves us with no issues used with a Shower pump.

But periodically the Flow valve (On/Off) binds/sticks where you have to try turn both directions to eventually turn off the shower flow.

Whenever this happens, I strip the valve, clean and re-grease with a Rocol silicone grease I have. Once re-assembled all is ok for approx 2 mths before starting to bind/stick again.

What Lubricant should be used on the Brass assembly threads.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Anything with rubber seals should use silicone grease, a little on the threads would also work. If it's a 1/4 turn ceramic it wont get any better, you may be able to replace it with a new valve though as most of them are using standard sized valves these days, that'll give you another couple of years at least.

Anything with rubber seals should use silicone grease, a little on the threads would also work. If it's a 1/4 turn ceramic it wont get any better, you may be able to replace it with a new valve though as most of them are using standard sized valves these days, that'll give you another couple of years at least.

I think its the threads on the Brass assembly that is the route of the problem as it seems as if they get dry where the lubricant don't last.

There are no ceramic's in the valve, just O-rings around the rotary temperature spindle and Flow control spindle both of which are brass, and O-rings on the cold and hot water pistons to shut off the flow through the valve to shower head.

Apologies, missed the Mira '8' bit in the OP, it's the exposed mixer. OK, a little lithium grease should do the trick, just don't contaminate the O-rings/seals or any water ways with it.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I cant seem to source a Mira 8 service pack 935.16, all say obsolete. Any alternative?

Try Showerdoc.com

they have it listed with all seals etc.

yeah sorry its no longer available.

TBH the only problem I’ve had with my Valve in 30years is that it gets stiff. Which I relube the threads of the mixer and its ok.
I did manage to find a new replacement valve/cartridge assy on fleabay as a spare should I need it now they are obsolete.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back