Central Heating wireing in junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, some help please. I am about to replace the Mid position 3 port valve in my setup. Should be straight forward but some of the wires seem to be in the wrong places, looking at wiring diagrams I seem to have a mixture of plans "C" "S" & "Y". I have these items.

Ideal Classic Boiler
Tower Room Stat 4 wires
Grundfos Pump 3 wires
Wickes Tank Stat 4 wires
Lifestyle Programmer 6 wires
ESI Valve 5 wires
Can anyone give me the correct wiring diagram to the junction box PLEASE I would be very grateful

Sponsored Links
Simply cut the cable supplying the old valve head and wire like for like colours with an in line cable connector. If the system was operating correctly there's no need to delve into any wiring centres. Of course ensure positive isolation before commencing work.

Hi muggles, I'm not happy with the wiring, had some problems on & off in the past that's why I would like to check the wiring to a diagram.

Sponsored Links
Hi 45yearsagasman, I was going to do that but had a few problems & had to replace parts in the past, I would just like a diagram to check for peace of mind.

From your description of the number of wires and the type of valve, your system will be Y plan providing you can control heating and hot water separately not requiring hot water on at the same time as heating.

In what way has it not been working properly?

I've googled your valve and it appears to be a standard mid pos valve for a y plan system. Honeywells web site has down loads for the wiring diagram. It is also readily available elsewhere.
It would be helpful if you would disclose the problems you've had in order to get specific answers.

Hi Echo the husky, & 45yearsagasman, this is my 3rd or 4th valve, 2nd programmer, heating coming on when not switched on, 3rd pump, and sometimes it knocks when the water comes on after it's been on heating. Looking at the "y" plan it seems the nearest to mine, 1 or 2 wires seem in the wrong place. Thanks for your help.

That's an awful lot of parts! I can only suggest carefully tracing through each of the wires as a starting point to ensure they go to the correct place. Heating systems are surprisingly frequently mis-wired and end up left not working correctly for years.

Hi Echo the husky, yes in full agreement, I think this system has been working " after a fashion " but not 100% as it should have been. I am today going to trace every wire from every item put it all on paper and try to work out what plan I should be on. Good luck to me.

Hi mogget, thanks for that I'll have a look at that site. I think I had decided as you also said it's going to be the "Y PLAN" the junction box seems to be 90% "Y PLAN", 4 or 5 wires in the wrong place. So "Y PLAN" its going to be. Thanks for everyone's help.

Hi All, thanks for all your help, everything now rewired to the "Y" plan and all working well. Thanks again to all of you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back