Central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Terminology

I know next to nothing about central heating. When radiators would not go above 16c I asked a plumber to correct this. He told me this was being caused by a piping connection error - wrong sizes connected to one another(boiler installed 5years ago!). This could be corrected and I would have all the heat I needed. He provided a quote referring to flow rates. I'm my simple 74 year old mind I thought better flow of hot water through pipes meant increased heat -just what I wanted.

There was a short lived improvement. Plumber told me after issuing invoice that the work he carried out would never have resolved my problem and suggested I have a power flush.

So could anybody please give an opinion on whether it was reasonable for me to think he was quoting me for what I told him. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi and welcome to the forum

unfortunately youve started a thread in the wrong section, I suggest you copy your post and start another thread in the heating and plumbing section

wrong sizes connected to one another(boiler installed 5years ago!).

Point is - did the system as installed 5 years ago work properly? If it did, that would suggest it was now simply choked up, and in need of a powerflush, rather than repiping. If he knew his repiping would never solve your problem, then the question ought to be - why did he still go ahead with the work?

How did you find this 'plumber'?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. The heating has been fine.I asked that question and was told that it would not have been industry practice to check the water at the outset. I have been told that the water, while piping work carried out was not particularly dirty. It was this work which would have dislodged some silt so blocking the filter. It seemed odd to me that the filter was not checked at the assessment visit. It was only done when engineer had to return because I had been left without any heating. That was corrected but then I couldn't turn heating down - really efficient local business which I found on-line.
I am back where I started so will look for an independent assessment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back