Central locking NOT unlocking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister in law came round today and when it came for her to leave found she couldn't get into her car. It's a saab "P" reg four door.
A friend opened the boot/hatch and climbed in but still couldn't open the doors. He tried it with the ignition on and the engine running too but to no avail. There is a whiring noise when the system is activated but no unlocking takes place.
She's going to get the AA to come out to it but I thought I'd ask here if anyone has anything to add and perhaps a vague idea of what the problem may be and possible costs.

Sponsored Links
Just to say that your sisters not alone with this problem.

I once had a Ford Sierra that did exactly the same.

9 times out of 10 it worked properly then it would just not work and I had to get in through the boot.
Oddly, it always failed to unlock when I least wanted it too causing me much embarassment and sparking off fits of hillarity amongst my (so called) friends! :D :D :D

I thought it would be expensive to repair, so I never bothered gbetting it done!
I eventually traded the car in but forgot to mention the fault to the sales rep, ooops!!

Funnily enough she had arranged to take it to the garage on the weekend of the car playing up and lo and behold the chuffing thing worked properly, opening at the first turn of the key.
Nonetheless she took it to the garage who couldn't find any fault. We're going to take the door liners off and give it a thorough greasing to see if that helps at all.
On an aside she has another car ,an MG , that has decided to blow its head gasket to add to her woes. Luckily she has use of her fathers car as he is out of the country for a while. Stupid quotes for the head gasket too :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
I had this problem with a Mini Metro. Whirring, but no open. I put it down to lack of lubrication.

I cured it by dribbling WD40 down the pop up button by the window, and then oil by the same route every day over the next week. I guess this won't work if your doors don't have the pop up button...

I think your diagnosis of the problem is correct. Hopefully, the door linings will come off OK - sometimes, it can be a real pain dismantling interiors. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply both.
Is there not a forum for just about everything nowadays :D
We are going to try the lubrication if it ever stops raining at the weekends :rolleyes: and hopefully before she decides the car "is just too much hassle" :rolleyes: .

Back