Centres for decking joists.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just about top start laying the joists for the decking,it extends 3.6 from house-joined to back wall with joist hangers with supporting walls at 1.8m and 3.8m the joists are 8x2 ,the decking is just over 1 inch thick,would 20 inch centers be adequate,will save me going and buying a few more joists if i could get away with this size,done a quick test run and it does seem pretty solid,or am i asking for trouble in the future with this spacing?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
The recommendation is to set the joists at 400mm centres. It is pointless to mount expensive, quality decking boards over a weak frame. A little like building a good house on poor foundations. Remember decking boards are easily replaced ( if screwed rather than nailed down ). The framework is another issue altogether so put the time and materials into it.

hitbit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back