Ceramic bob with 2 black wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm not sure if anyone can help - I have just had a new ceramic hob wired in by an electrician. It had 5 cables )which did seem to surprise the electrician) once he had finished only 2 of the 5 rings would heat and light up.

The electrician thinks it's a faulty applicable - contacted the shop and they asked if it's wired correctly.

So I've had a look and he has left one of the black wires out and taped it off, I presume as the box it went into only had 4 connections (sorry don't know the technical terms).

So now I don't know if it's just wired wrong or is faulty if anyone has any experience in this??

Pic is attached may explain more

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1700.JPG
    IMG_1700.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 1,390
Sponsored Links
I have just had a new ceramic hob wired in by an electrician.
I don't think you did.

It had 5 cables )which did seem to surprise the electrician)
QED.

Did he think to look at the instructions?

The electrician thinks it's a faulty applicable - contacted the shop and they asked if it's wired correctly.

So I've had a look and he has left one of the black wires out and taped it off, I presume as the box it went into only had 4 connections (sorry don't know the technical terms).

So now I don't know if it's just wired wrong or is faulty if anyone has any experience in this??
So this bloke didn't connect all of the wires, and then when not all of it works decides it must be faulty?

I hope you haven't paid him for his "services".

Last edited:
Yea he looked at the book but I didn't realise one of the wires wasn't connected until I've just took out the oven

Ok hasn't been paid.

Where does the other black wire need to go ?

Sponsored Links
Sorry there is 4 wires from the hob black brown yellow/green and blue. The other black comes from the mains with red and yellow/green

Hopefully pic shows this

So it's just the black from the hob that hasn't been connected anywhere

Attachments

• IMG_1702.JPG
    IMG_1702.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_1703.JPG
    IMG_1703.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 333
Yes - but he may have connected both the hob terminals to the brown so that the black is no longer required.

Accurate advice can only be provied if the make and type of the hob is known

The most likely ( but not certain ) explanation is that the unit and its cable are designed such that two of the hobs are supplied by the brown wire and the other two are supplied by the black wire.

For use on a single phase in the UK both the Black and the Brown need to be connected to Live at the switch.

For use on a two phase supply ( parts of Europe ) the Black and the Brown would be connected to separate phases.

Hi it is a Russell Hobbs RH77EH6001

If that helps.

So could be wired up correct and faulty or could be wired wrong - hard to tell?

Is it possible to see inside the hob where the conductors connect?

Did the hob come fitted with that flex?

I suspect it did and if so, it will most probably have all the conductors correctly terminated inside the hob.

All sorted now electrician came back and wired the loose black wire up and is all good

Thanks for the help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back