Ceramic Tiles behind Multi fuel stove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to do a small amount of tiling inside the fireplace opening. The space is a regular fireplace size and I have worked out it only needs a metre of tiles at the most. Can I use ceramic or will they not withstand the heat generated from the stove. This job seems to be hanging over me as conflicting advice re tiles and adhesive have slowed my decisions. Has anyone done this and found that ceramic will hold. I do not really want quarry tiles but have been advised porcelain would be the best. Any comments appreciated

Sponsored Links
They should be fine,tiles are fired at high tempretures.
Make sure you use a flexible adhesive and grout.

Ive tiled a few fireplaces including my own and never had any problems.

I’ve only done a couple (again including my own) but used polished granite tiles (a tad expensive). They are fine but, as Lance says, ceramic should be OK; you must use flexible powdered cement adhesive not tub mix. I didn’t use grout, just set the tiles very close (Kellogg’s cardboard thickness) to allow a wee gap for expansion. If you want to fill the gaps, I would use silicone.

Don’t use Gypsum plaster (base or finish coat) on the wall around the fire within 500mm at the sides & 800mm above (more preferably), it won’t stand continuous exposure to much over 50 degrees C & will crack, blow & fall off the wall. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back