Tiling behind stove.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As tiles can be placed behind hobs in kitchens we are considering tiling behind our multi fuel stove in the lounge.

The wall behind the stove is plasterboard and can reach some temps once the stoves on the go. We cant afford to replace the wall so we thought we would use tiles instead.

Would the grouting crack under the heat of the stove??????

many thanks!

Sponsored Links
oh, have just found a similar thread in the forum and the answers there are very helpful........

Hi.
Yes you can tile behind your stove even if the temperature gets really high.
i would advise you to only use tiles with no glaze on i.e not gloss tiles as temperature will crack the glazed but mostly any other tiles can be used.
i would use Norcross Tile To Showers Adhesive to fix them to plaster board but firstly use Norcross Bonding agent to seal plasterboard.
Then Use A Norcross Flexable grout.
Job Done ;)
Joe www.URL-REMOVED.co.uk

Thanks,

Does anyone else agree with the non-glossy tile comment? I've my eye on the brick shaped, bevelled edge ones, which are glossy, but are the style I'm after for our victorian cottage. I wouldnt care if the gloss cracked or the 'shine' dulled down as that would add to it.......

opinions appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Only a cement based adhesive would be suitable, tub mix is no good. The problem you will still have is that gypsum plaster & plasterboard will not withstand exposure to temperatures much above 50 degrees C on a regular basis for any length of time. If you don’t replace it with something more suitable, it will disintegrate behind the tiles taking them with it.

Is the stove anew install? If so, are you aware it’s notifyable building work & subject to inspection unless done by a registered HETAS installer.

We bought the house with the stove a year ago. We dont even know if it was put in by a registered guy or an odd job man........ They have done a good job of the roof though which makes me think it was someone who knew what they were doing....

Ive made previous enquiries on here about the plasterboard, it MIGHT have been replaced with fire proofed stuff but we dont know and we aint in a position to tear it down to find out...

We bought the house with the stove a year ago. We dont even know if it was put in by a registered guy or an odd job man........ They have done a good job of the roof though which makes me think it was someone who knew what they were doing.... .
Unfortunately, weather or not they have done a good job is not really relevant, a recent installation must comply with Building Regs & should have a compliance certificate. Not having one could invalidate your house insurance in the event of a problem & a badly installed fire could even kill you :confused: Surprised it wasn't picked up on survey when you bought the property, there is a strong possibility it will be in the future!
Ive made previous enquiries on here about the plasterboard, it MIGHT have been replaced with fire proofed stuff
What do you understand as “fireproof stuff”; standard Fireline is still gypsum based & is only suitable for a one off fire, it’s still not suitable as a liner for a stove recess & specific products must be used.

but we dont know and we aint in a position to tear it down to find out
Bit of a “head in the sand” approach but your decision; stick your tiles on it, you should find out soon enough once you start using the fire. :rolleyes:

Not a stick head in sand approach at all. Its the Just Lost My Job and I'm Skint way of thinking......

Stove isnt in a recess.

I have contacted local installers for their advice.
thanks for yours.

Not a stick head in sand approach at all. Its the Just Lost My Job and I'm Skint way of thinking......
Sorry to hear that :cry:

Stove isnt in a recess.
Sorry misunderstood but it won't make any odds. It's the proximity of the board that matters, if it’s gypsum based & the temp exceeds 50 degrees C, it will fail.

I have contacted local installers for their advice.
thanks for yours.
Fine see what they say. ;)

quick update...

Found the suppliers to the stove we have - yay! but the installation was a homer, booooo.

Anyhoo, the suggestion was; the slate that it sits upon can also be placed onto the wall so I think thats the way we are going to go. They recommended an adhesive for it but cant recall at the mo what that was but the slate wasnt going to cost loads. We would have a section directly behind the stove so it wouldnt be unsightly or distract from the cream walls, plus easy to clean. So Hurrah!

thanks for your assistance. I might even post a piccy once its done :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back